PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Banner 9 Upgrade – info and advice for users to prepare for October 14th go live.
As you are probably aware Banner 9 is being implemented on October 14, because vendor support for Oracle forms (current Banner 8 infrastructure) will be discontinued this coming December. The Office of Student Systems Services (OSSS) in conjunction with other offices within Academic and Enrollment Services are preparing for this upgrade.
You will be receiving a series of emails over the next couple of weeks about preparing for this upgrade. Banner 9 look and feel is different and there are some navigation and form changes.
What are we doing to help with this transition?
- The OSSS website (osss.uic.edu) has been updated to include Banner 9 information. There are documents for the various college and department processes. The documentation will be completed by September 14.
- Training will be conducted for the following areas:
- Schedule Planners: Beginning in September there will be training for all of the schedule planners. Sign up will start on September 14 through the OSSS website.
- SZACURU: College staff who make curriculum changes will have a training/overview session(s) after the October 14th go live. Sign up will be late September through the OSSS website.
- Graduation Processing: College staff who process graduation applications for students will be offered training/overview sessions in November. An email to sign up through the OSSS website will be sent mid-late October.
What do you need to do this week to prepare for Banner 9?
- Start by reviewing the information on the OSSS website. Especially look at the navigation components. View the AITS Navigational Video. The URL is – https://www.aits.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=558&pageId=941936 .
- AITS is doing a Banner Student overview session on September 27. The sign-up link is on this page https://emails.illinois.edu/newsletter/182706.html .
- Log into the Banner 9 playground that AITS has set up. The URL is https://www.aits.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=558&pageId=941949
- You should begin now to practice the navigation functions. Enter in the page that you normally access. Enter in the required information and always click on Go. In the left hand sidebar there are various icons. Click on the icons to see how to navigate through Banner. Navigate to another page that you normally access by using the sidebar.
OSSS will be sending email each week with advice to help you prepare for Banner 9. You should spend at least an hour per week learning about Banner to prepare for the October 14 go live date.
Please let me know if there are any questions.
Office of Student Systems Services