Where can I find out who my academic advisor is?
The Advising Directory is a good place to start (the list is sorted by Colleges & Departments and Support Programs). It will point you in the direction of your college advising office. Depending on the structure of advising in your college, you may have a college and/or department advisor in your major. In addition, some UIC students seek additional academic counseling services from support programs and offices.
What should I do if I am in academic difficulty?
If you have questions about failing classes, probation, or dismissal, you should contact an advisor in your college office.
What do I do if I have a registration hold on my account? How can I get it removed?
Go into Student Self-Service to determine if there is a hold on your account that prevents you from registering for classes. Holds may be placed for various reasons, including nonpayment, failure to submit your immunization form, athletics advising hold, college advising hold, or department advising hold.
To get the hold removed, contact your college office.
What should I do if I need a little extra help in some of my classes?
If you are having a problem with one or more of your classes, you should go to the instructor’s office hours to find out how you can improve your performance.
In addition, you should check out UIC’s academic support services. AAAN, ACE, CHANCE, the Honors College, and LARES provide tutoring, academic skills workshops, informal study groups, and/or other academic support. Consult the Tutoring directory for a list of offices that provide tutoring.
What should I do if I have a question about one of my grades?
If you have questions about grading policies, grade disputes, or missing grades, you should start by contacting your class instructor. In some cases, your instructor may refer you to your college office.
How do I make sure that I am meeting graduation requirements for my major and my college?
You should use the undergraduate catalog for the year you were admitted to determine your degree requirements (e.g., if you were admitted in Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, or Spring 2009, you would use the 2007–2009  Undergraduate Catalog to determine the degree requirements for your college and major). Your college and/or major advisor is the best person to talk to about fulfilling requirements, deadlines, and academic policies. A degree audit is a useful tool for tracking progress toward your degree. You can access your unofficial degree audit online. Please plan to discuss your degree audit with your advisor each semester.
Where do I go if I need help with registration?
You should contact Registration and Records with questions about drop/add, Time Tickets, withdrawals, and cancellations. If you want assistance with course selection prior to registration, contact your college or major advisor.
Where can I get a copy of my transcript?
You should go to Registration and Records for transcript requests and/or enrollment verification.
How can I find out about transferring course work to UIC?
You should contact the Office of Admissions for questions related to transfer work completed before you enrolled at UIC. If you are a current student and would like to take a course or two at another college, you must see your college advisor and/or major advisor prior to enrolling in any non-UIC courses.
Where can I find information on applying to and attending graduate or professional school?
For questions about standardized tests, selecting a graduate or professional program, and preparation for a graduate degree, you should contact the Graduate College, Career Services, or a faculty member in area of intended study. In addition, you may want to explore the Preprofessional Studies options available through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
What kinds of careers are available to me based on my major? Where can I get information on doing an internship or co-op? Can anyone help me with my job search?
If you want help identifying career fields and opportunities, finding an internship, or getting ready for your post-graduation career, you should contact Career Services. Your major advisor, faculty member in area of interest, college-based career or internship office might have additional information and services.
What should I do if I am interested in the Honors College?
You should visit the Honors College Web site for eligibility requirements, application and admissions information, and Honors College requirements.
How do I know if I am eligible to receive University, College, and Department Honors and/or the Dean’s List?
You should consult the Undergraduate Catalog or discuss eligibility requirements with your college advisor or major advisor.
Where do I go for information on disability services?
If you have questions about disability services, accommodations, or accessibility contact the Disability Resource Center.
What happens if I get in trouble for something? Will I get a chance to tell my side of the story?
All student disciplinary matters are referred to the Dean of Students’ Office. The Student Disciplinary Policy governs how allegations of student misconduct will be handled. The Student Disciplinary Policy is available online.
Who can I contact about questions related to military service?
If you have questions about military withdrawal, you should contact Registration and Records. For questions about reenrollment after service, the Admissions is a good place to start. ROTC can answer questions about scholarship opportunities and military service. Student Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs can address questions about educational benefits for veterans and refer veterans to other services.
Where can I find out more about financial aid?
If you have questions about financial aid, you should contact the Office of Student Financial Aid or see the FAQs on the OSFA Web site.