Provost’s Excellence in Undergraduate Advising Award
The Provost has established the Excellence in Undergraduate Advising Award to acknowledge excellence, commitment, and dedication of professional advisors of undergraduate students at UIC. Up to three awards of $750 will be awarded annually.
- Non-faculty professionals who spend a significant portion of their job advising undergraduates, including academic advisors in the colleges and departments and advisors in support programs, are eligible.
- Applicants must have served as advisors at UIC for at least one full academic year before applying for the award.
- Award recipients may be selected for the award no more than once every three years.
There is no one measure of excellence in undergraduate advising, but excellence is reflected in these and other domains:
- Promotion of undergraduate student success in terms of GPA, retention, and graduation.
- Caring, respectful, and helpful attitude toward students, including strong listening skills.
- Knowledge of university and college policies and procedures, as well as campus resources.
- Assisting students in setting academic plans that align with their career goals, and working with students to evaluate their progress toward these goals.
- Sensitivity to students’ cultural backgrounds, experiences, and needs.
- Participation in professional development activities, conferences, seminars, workshops, or other activities that enhance skills as an advisor.
- Collaboration with other advisors within college or support programs across campus.
- Development of creative solutions to enhance student experiences.
- Significant impact on students and their development.
- Carry out job duties enthusiastically, with integrity and dedication.
- Service to the campus or the professional field beyond expected job duties.
The first step of the process is to complete a 2017 Provost’s Excellence in Undergraduate Advising Award online nomination at http://go.uic.edu/AdvisingAdwards.
Applications will be reviewed by a subcommittee of the OAD Steering Committee, who will select finalists and will be following up with those finalists for the next stage of the process.
Deadline: February 1, 2017
Questions may be directed to email@example.com.